Friday, September 10, 2004

The Gov't We Deserve?

I was lucky enough to spend a month in Prague a couple of years ago and to study Czech culture at Charles University there. I was reviewing some notes I took there tonight and I came across this quote I jotted down (I think word for word) from Eda Kriseova, who spoke on "Literature and Nationalism" and who is a friend and biographer of the Czech president and writer Vaclav Havel.

I had long admired Havel as that rare modern politician who valued the life of the mind (in complete contradistinction to our own current president, need I point out). I believe it was in the context of how Havel's popularity had of late actually begun to wane in the Czech Republic that Kriseova said the following, which I think I quoted as closely as possible in my notes:
Havel is "too moral" for the ordinary person. They prefer the lying and stealing pragmatic bureaucrat since they make them feel comfortable with their immorality.
Is it the same here only worse?

No comments: