Friday, January 02, 2015

Favorite Reads from 2014

Read some great books this past year. I'd say these were my favorite … 6:
Open City by Teju Cole
Beautiful immigrant novel about a Nigerian doctor and flaneur on the streets of New York with an unexpected twist
This Machine Kills Secrets by Andy Greenberg
Excellent non-fiction about the history of leaks in general and Wikileaks, specifically, primarily the rise of digital leaks, hactivism and cypherpunks.
What We Talk About When We Talk About Anne Frank by Nathan Englander
Superlative short fiction which examines the Jewish experience, both religious and secular, in the past and present, here in the United States and in Israel.
Look at Me by Jennifer Egan
The shifting of a woman’s identity after a car accident leaves her unrecognizable to most people.
Under the Skin by Michel Faber
Tour de force satire about an unusual woman stalking male hitchhikers in Scotland. Also made into the great flick by Jonathan Glazer. Not for all tastes, it’s a disturbing read in a way I probably haven’t experienced since reading Will Self’s scathing Great Apes years ago.
Where Men Win Glory: The Odyssey of Pat Tillman by Jon Krakauer
Not just a tribute to the heroic spirit of Pat Tillman and how the Bush administration abused his life and service, but also a detailed account of our fumblings as a nation in Afghanistan and how we created the complicated quagmire we ended up wading into.
I'd also recommend Lowboy by John Wray and The Steel Spring by Per Wahlöö.
How about you? Any recommendations?

3 comments:

Aashi siva said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Aashi siva said...

I’ve been browsing on-line greater than three hours today, but I never discovered any attention-grabbing article like yours. It is beautiful worth sufficient for me. Personally, if all webmasters and bloggers made good content material as you did, the net will be a lot more helpful than ever before.
Cognos training in chennai
Digital Marketing Training In Chennai
Dot Net Training In Chennai

cdcdcdcd said...


I enjoyed over read your blog post. Your blog have nice information, I got good ideas from this amazing blog. I am always searching like this type blog post. I hope I will see again.
Best Ice Fishing Gloves Best Ice Fishing Gloves Best Ice Fishing Gloves