Sunday, November 30, 2003

Saw the excellent movie Shattered Glass today about the rise and fall of journalistic fabulist Stephen Glass, the young writer who fabricated 27 articles while working at the New Republic. One of the best movies I've seen this year and a must-see for media junkies or those interested in journalism at all. Here's the original article on Forbes.com which broke the story. This article also includes a screenshot of the fake site Glass constructed for his fabricated company Junkt Micronics.

Rick McGinnis has indexed Glass's work from various magazines including the New Republic, George, Harpers and Rolling Stone, as well as articles about the Glass fiasco from across the Web.

“If it was sunny outside and Steve and I were both standing outside in the sun and Steve came to me and said, ‘It's a sunny day,’ I would immediately go check with two other people to make sure it was a sunny day.” Charles Lane, the former TNR editor who fired Glass.

Finally, on his homepage this poor bloke pleads "BEFORE YOU ENTER! I AM NOT THE NEW REPUBLIC FABRICATOR! I AM CANADIAN!"

No comments: