Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Day of Silence

GLSEN (The Gay, Lesbian and Straight Education Network) is sponsoring a Day of Silence, wherein students "observe the day in silence to echo the silence LGBT and ally students face every day." The site explains that "the event brings attention to anti-LGBT bullying, harassment and discrimination in schools."

Unfortunately, today I received an email suggesting that if I have any children I withdraw them from school that day, describing the event as "quite appalling and an attack on our religious freedoms." The email and the site linked to continue by engaging the usual scare tactics about how the event will "promote the homosexual lifestyle in public schools." There's so much wrong with that little phrase it's hard to know where to start. I suppose the black people who sat quietly and with dignity at Southern counters were "promoting the wickedness of racial integration" were they?

Anyway, I thought I create a promotional post here as a sort of Karmic response to the appalling feeling that came over me when I read that email.

Strength to the children out there who do have to suffer in silence out there daily because of society's primitive understanding of their sexual identity. Note that I didn't say "sexual lifestyle."

Consider making a donation to GLSEN.

No comments: