Thursday, April 12, 2007

RIP Kurt Vonnegut

Kurt Vonnegut in an ad for the ACLU

1922-2007

The New York Times once called him "the laughing prophet of doom." Kurt Vonnegut died today.

From his 1965 novel, God Bless You, Mr. Rosewater:
“Hello, babies. Welcome to Earth. It’s hot in the summer and cold in the winter. It’s round and wet and crowded. At the outside, babies, you’ve got about a hundred years here. There’s only one rule that I know of, babies — ‘God damn it, you’ve got to be kind.’”
From Rolling Stone magazine last year:
He has stalled finishing his highly anticipated novel If God Were Alive Today - or so he claims. "I've given up on it ... It won't happen. ... The Army kept me on because I could type, so I was typing other people's discharges and stuff. And my feeling was, 'Please, I've done everything I was supposed to do. Can I go home now?' That's what I feel right now. I've written books. Lots of them. Please, I've done everything I'm supposed to do. Can I go home now?"
So it goes.

More Vonnegut:

No comments: