Saturday, January 04, 2003

Why the sudden penchant for posting poems? Because I can, I guess.

~ Reported Missing ~

Can you give me a precise description? Said the policeman.
Her lips, I told him, were soft.

Could you give me, he said, pencil raised, a metaphor?
Soft as an open mouth, I said.

Were there any noticeable peculiarities? he asked.
Her hair hung heavily, I said.

Any particular colour? he said.
I told him I could recall little but its distinctive scent.

What do you mean, he asked, by distinctive?
It had the smell of woman's hair, I said.

Where were you? he asked.
Closer than I am to anyone at present,
I said, level with her mouth, level with her eyes.

Her eyes? he said, what about her eyes?
There were two, I said, both black.

It has been established, he said,
that eyes cannot, outside common usage, be black;
are you implying that violence was used?

Only the gentle hammer blow of her kisses,
the scent of her breath, the...

Quite, said the policeman, standing,
but I regret that we know of no one
answering to that description.

~ Barry Cole ~



No comments: