Saturday, June 12, 2004

Ron Reagan: I Knew the Gipper and George W, You're No Gipper

OK, so, I've paraphrased a little, but as this Salon article from just over a year ago reveals, Ron Reagan Jr. is sure no fan of George W. Bush.
The Bush people have no right to speak for my father, particularly because of the position he's in now. Yes, some of the current policies are an extension of the '80s. But the overall thrust of this administration is not my father's -- these people are overly reaching, overly aggressive, overly secretive, and just plain corrupt. I don't trust these people.
And then there's this:
Sure, he wasn't a technocrat like Clinton. But my father was a man -- that's the difference between him and Bush. To paraphrase Jack Palance, my father crapped bigger ones than George Bush.
Not to forget this:
Nine-11 gave the Bush people carte blanche to carry out their extreme agenda -- and they didn't hesitate for a moment to use it. I mean, by 9/12 Rumsfeld was saying, "Let's hit Iraq." They've used the war on terror to justify everything from tax cuts to Alaska oil drilling.
So George W. Bush is continuing the Reagan legacy, huh? Reagan's son doesn't think so. And there's a lot more like that in that article. Reagan even says his mother, Nancy Reagan doesn't trust "these [Bush] people. She gets that they're trouble in all kinds of ways. She doesn't like their religious fervor, their aggression."

(Via Kevin Drum)

No comments: