Wednesday, February 12, 2003

If you've made it to this point in your life thinking Bill O'Reilly is anything other than a belligerant fascist misanthrope, this transcript should remove the scales from your eyes. In it he berates the son of man who died 9/11 for daring to criticize American foreign policy. Apparently, he cursed at the guy off air. What he said on air is unprofessional enough--never mind that--*hateful enough** that his show should've been yanked immediately. Unlikely though, considering this is Fox "News."

This isn't a free speech issue. I'd go to jail for O'Reilly's right to assert his asinine beliefs. If the government jails you for something you said, that may be an infringement on free speech. But if a network shitcans you for being an idiot, that's just appropriate. I should be able to stand on a street corner and espouse whatever hatred I'd like, post it on my web site, crank out flyers, whatever. But, depending on how violently intolerant I am, if I take it into the workplace, I should be canned for expressing my views on the job. O'Reilly's job is to interview people on television. He should owe them *some* level of respect--especially if he's going to label the tripe he serves up "News." The fact that Fox allows this creep a show reveals much about their agenda.

On a lighter (light to the point of fluff) note, I've fallen prey to wondering is my Blog HOT or NOT? I'm figuring, not.

No comments: